Monday, February 23, 2015

Module 3 Reading Reflection

 Transform Conversation into Writing
          I have never realized that every piece of discussion that I post on the forum for my ENG 704 online class can be called as a piece of writing until I read the Chapter 8 Conversation: Online, Course “Talk” Can Become Writing in the book Teaching Writing Online by Scott Warnock. In this chapter, he mentions that the use of asynchronous message boards can facilitate student communication. Combined his opinions with my experience of ENG 704 class, I can get the conclusion that online conversation can be transformed into writing by its original features and being properly handled by teachers.
        Discussion boards for an online writing class not only offers the efficient sharing of writing, but also opportunities for improving writing by students themselves. In a face-to-face classroom, the conversation is synchronous which means there are some limits of it: First of all, not every student can participate in discussion for the limitation of time and space in an onsite classroom. However, as expressed by Scott, “The online discussion boards are asynchronous that open environment with more equitable participation (70).”
   Moreover, for some students who are too shy to speak in front of people, discussion boards might be an ideal choice for them to express their ideas freely. Also, if it is a fast-paced chatting setting, some students can’t respond in time for lack of language ability or being distracted. However, that issue won’t happen in discussion boards where they can compose thoughtful, probing contributions with reflective time (70). Take myself for example, when I was sitting in the classroom which is full of native speaker, I dared not to express myself because I was afraid they might laugh at my nonstandard spoken English. When I was writing my discussion thoughts for ENG 704, I was passionate and willing to share thoughts with my classmates because I could revise my post many times before posting to make sure what I said was proper. In the process, my confidence in English learning got enhanced because of enough chances of expression through discussion boards.
    As a teacher for online writing class, it is not easy to deal with the discussion board and inspire students’ passion in keeping using it. Before initiating the discussion, Scott suggests that the teacher should make sure their instructions and expectations are clear and detailed (79). Some students don’t contribute to the discussion not for they don’t want to, but for they don’t know how to respond. Clear-cut guidelines are important for online discussion. If I am the teacher, after the first time I post guidelines for discussion, I don’t get as many responses as I expect. I will try communicating with my students to see whether they are confused about the guidelines, and revise it accordingly.
   The role teacher plays in discussion board will influence how much he or she can get from students’ discussion. Scott has clearly stated that an online facilitator should be reminded of the purpose of any composition is to illuminate the thoughts of students, rather than craft a position that puts them on center stage (73). During the online discussion, what teacher needs to do is to clarify and extend the thinking of students. With the help of teacher, students’ pieces of discussion can be developed into good writing.
   As Scott points out that, “although teacher doesn’t need to be the center of discussion, they need to be involved with students’ asynchronous conversations (75).” The appropriate level of involvement is hard to control in the discussion board for online writing teacher. Both too much and too little involvement can lead students to shut down in another way. Like in ENG 704, at the very beginning of semester, my instructor Dr. Cadle would raise a question for us to start the discussion. Later, she gave the opportunity to us. Students can start a thread for each module if they have questions after reading. Although Dr. Cadle may not respond to each post, she would respond to some post to state her position and initiate more discussion. The way that Dr. Cadle handle with the discussion board is a good example for me to learn, which is not overzealous about responding, but also let students feel that she is always with us in the process.
        At the beginning of taking online writing class, students behave like a kid because they don’t know how to follow teacher’s steps. At this stage, teacher should pay close attention to students’ responses for discussion. Later, when students get used to the pace, teacher can give more freedom to students’ discussion, and be an assistant on students’ way to develop thoughts into discussion post, or even writing.


Works Cited:
       Warnock, Scott. Teaching Writing Online. NCTE: Illinois. 2009. Print.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing these thoughts! They really reinforce the inspiration I felt when I read Warnock's chapter on Conversation, and I'm really eager to incorporate it into my classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You deserve praise keep it up good work, I will look forward next post!
    Get Unique Writing Service

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also interested to join online writing class please tell me what I have to do?
    Thanks for sharing
    Help Me with My University Assignment

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are many informative content in This blog, I visit all the time to read some unique plus informative posts like this
    thanks for sharing
    Website to Write Research Papers Online

    ReplyDelete